Trent Wotherspoon commits to protecting Crown Corporations with strongest legal protections possible
October 28, 2017
Today NDP leadership candidate Trent Wotherspoon announced his plan to strengthen and protect our Crown Corporations – including a plan to enshrine protections for the Crowns into the constitution.
“The Sask. Party has shown through their decade of privatization – leading up to their deceitful Bill 40 – that they can’t be trusted to keep our Crown Corporations under the ownership and control of the people of Saskatchewan,” said Wotherspoon. “I have a plan to undo the damage they’ve done, and lock our Crowns down so that no government will ever be able to sell off our Crowns without asking the people of Saskatchewan for permission.”
Wotherspoon committed to working with the federal parliament to amend the Saskatchewan Act to require a referendum before selling any shares or any interest in the Crown Corporations listed in the Crown Corporations Public Ownership Act.
“Publicly owned Crown Corporations are a part of who we are as Saskatchewan people, and requiring a referendum before their sale makes sense,” said Howard Leeson, constitutional expert and former advisor to Roy Romanow, Allan Blakeney, and Grant Notley. “Trent’s plan to write protections for our Crowns into the constitution adds an extra layer of protection and will ensure that our Crowns will continue to serve the public interest for future generations.”
In addition to enshrining protections for our Crowns in the constitution, Wotherspoon would also strengthen our Crowns by:
- Stopping the privatization of liquor stores and ensuring the remaining stores are welcoming, modern retail outlets,
- Reducing the reliance on contract and temporary employees by building capacity within our Crowns,
- Expanding the mandates of SaskTel, SaskPower, SaskWater, SGI, and SaskEnergy and reversing the Sask. Party changes that prevent our Crowns from diversifying outside Saskatchewan,
- Building a public province-wide transportation system in the wake of the deceitful selloff of STC,
- Delivering high-speed internet service and cellular coverage in every community in the province.
For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact: